Sunday, April 19, 2009

Sakura Matsuri

"Sakura Matsuri" is the name given to many Japanese festivals based around spring and cherry blossoms. They start showing up around the country in early April, and here in Brooklyn, the culmination weekend for this year is May 2 and 3.

The cherry trees have just really started to bloom here. Probably one reason the Brooklyn Botanical Garden's Sakura Matsuri is up to a month after some of the earliest celebrations. First week in April, there wouldn't have been any cherry blossoms to celebrate with!

So, I had to wait before I could make this special Magic Vial pendant just for this season. So, here I've made this new pendant, Sakura. It's filled with Rhodochrosite and Rose Quartz for not only the soft pink color, but compatible symbols of love and purity. There is also a whole cherry blossom inside the vial, preserved in the neutral oil base. To top it off, I even did a simple looping flower in sterling silver wire on the front, 5-petaled, just like a cherry blossom.

A perfect little addition for those who love to celebrate the Cherry Blossom Festivals, soft pink, small and delicate, just like the flowers themselves.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

I'm not sure what it is that makes the cherry blossom such a force to stir our winter-weary imaginations into spring. Why not pear blossoms? I'm not sure; but Etsy sellers are quite enamored of the pale pink petals! Nearly 100 pages of "sakura" and almost 250 of "cherry blossom" Wow!

Emin Jewelry has several graceful and delicate pieces of cherry blossom jewelry. Ranging from $85.00 for her silver lace and pink pearl earrings, to an amazingly intricate cherry blossom bridal cuff for just shy of $200.00

I will admit that her shop is a bit pricier than those I normally feature, but the detail and craftsman ship and sheer beauty of each piece is a testiment to quality.

And of course, because of the festival, I'm also reminded of the Japanese style hair ornaments (kanzashi?) And etsy has a few makers these days. For "bang for buck" value, I've chosen GocheMoche. Her hair flowers range from $6.00 to $18.00 depending on the style of attachment. My favorite is pictured at right.

Silver or silk, no matter your budget, hopefully you will all take the time to stop and smell the cherry blossoms, and enjoy the spring.

And now, I want sushi.

2 comments:

gochemoche said...

Thank you very much for the feature, I really appreciate it :))

TresArtsy said...

WOW - Prunus Avium in a vial! Very cool. (I happen to live in the "Cherry Capitol of the World") LOVE IT!