Sunday, January 31, 2010

Huffs-Huffs

Sorry I vanished for almost 2 weeks, had a small medical thing - same thing from last September, if anyone remembers that.

I think I'm just about over the worst part of the recovery. To give a little example, I thought some light walking might help a few days afterwards, so I thought "oh, a friend and I will go see the Tim Burton exhibit at MoMA! Museums are easy, leisurely strolls, and MoMA has escalators." I didn't even finish the Burton exhibit before I had to find a corner and sit and rest, my insides yelling at me for pushing to do too much, too soon. GREAT exhibit, by the way. If any of you will be in NYC before April 26, 2010, I highly recommend it! If you want to go on a weekend, buy your tickets in as far advance as you can! Trying to buy tickets for Saturday on Tuesday will most likely result in a "SOLD OUT" for all time slots. During the week, it's crowded, but specialty timed tickets aren't necessary.

Very inspiring, however! I loved the small glowing oils on black velvet paintings under black lights. I know. . . but ever since I was a child at a flea market back in the 80's
and saw the paintings of iridescent unicorns on black velvet, I've been a fan of that dated and corny format. I really should do some of my own, one day.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

and so she became curious and entered "velvet painting" into etsy.

There still exist a certain amount of the traditional vintage paintings being recirculated through etsy, but 2BlackBirds is actually doing new work on velvet. Lovely! I think Girl With Fox (pictured) is my favorite, but her interpretation of Little Red Riding Hood is also a nice piece.

However, if velvet isn't your thing, she has many more paintings on standard canvas, as well as a variety of other merchandise.

3 comments:

storybeader said...

glad you were able to get out for a little while. Take care of yourself! And thanks for the view... I'm a far distance for NYC!

Baroness Bijoutery said...

Hi Izile, If you would stop by my blog I have and award for you...

Aline deWinter said...

I love this! I have been to the artists shop before but you have me going back. Your blog is always a delight to visit. You have such good taste.