Thursday, March 10, 2011

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

(early). I already featured my greenest pendant last post for Mardi Gras, so I'll put up "Lil Sunshine" (which I think I featured before, but it's probably been a long time, and I have made a few incarnations of it) for orange instead!

Those of you who might remember last year (and possibly the year before)'s posts for St. Patty's Day know I can't help myself but point out the old tradition that I grew up with that has been forgotten by most of the US population these days. That's that on St. Patrick's Day, you're only supposed to wear green if you're Catholic, and you wear orange if you're protestant. (Of course, being from Mississippi and growing up Southern Baptist, plus my grandfather was a S.B. minister, it was also always pointed out to me, that *technically* Baptists weren't protestant
because they split off from the Catholic church long before Martin Luther and that "protestant" only refers to those denominations that split off during that particular reformation.)

Of course, these days, a lot of people who celebrate aren't any flavor of Christianity, one way or the other, so it becomes even more of a moot point. I just like the old trivia, no matter how irrelevant.

In a more lighthearted vein, last year I helped a friend who lives on the Upper East Side move her apartment on St. Patty's Day (yes, she was made aware how bad an idea this was, especially as both old and new apartments were only a couple of blocks away from the trade route, but as she said, "I'm a Wiccan Jewish girl who doesn't drink; I had no idea when St. Patrick's Day was!") and being a pale redhead came in very handy! Not only did I have no problem getting through the crowds as people yelled "Make way for Irish!" but one of our friends threatened to strap me to the hood of the moving car to see if it would have the same effect on traffic!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Instead, today, St. Patty's is about celebrating not only for those of us with Irish blood, but (as they said in Boondock Saints, the movie, everyone is Irish on St. Patty's Day!) a day to appreciate what those people have brought to our country. (More than just Guinness!)

To thin out the results, for this post I searched etsy for "Erin go Bragh"!

And just because this post is rambling all over the place, loosely connected digression to digression, I thought I would plug this, because it made me laugh! The title is "Erin Go Braghless" *HA* from Deanna Danger Designs. I especially like the "Irish Cheer" tassels. As you might have guessed, Deanna's shop specializes in pasties! She also sells some other burlesque themed accessories, but it seems like her great variety of pasties is what it's about! And while I have never worn pasties, myself, I am a big fan of burlesque and am probably the only person in my apartment who hasn't worn pasties. (There is even a lone gold sequined pastie that lives with the knick-knacks on our tv stand.)

And if you decide you get a pair and don't know what to do from there, may I suggest the Burlesque Handbook by Jo "Boobs" Weldon!

Happy St. Patty's Day!

No comments: