Friday, June 26, 2009

Unicorns!

My favorite creature, of all time, well into the land of obsession, since I was a teeny-tiny-toddling-twee-thing. I was set off on this subject because I wore my new Unico t-shirt (found at UNQLO on Broadway) to work today (casual Friday). Explaining the old rare anime and how I used to watch it when I was little, I started googling. I just finished watching the original Japanese pilot of Unico: Black Cloud White Feather on youtube that I'd never heard of and had never been released to the US.

Unicorns are so cute, it's easy to forget the almost inherent tragedy that goes hand in hand with so many of their stories. Makes me want to pick back up drawing unicorns. (I've drawn them since I could hold a pencil, and pre-etsy, sold ACEOs of them (as pictured) on ebay.) I *finally* last week (after what, 16-17 months?) started painting again. Not much, just added a base coat of swirling vines to the bottom of my Black Tower tribute painting - but that's another topic. Still, maybe unicorn paintings will be making a reappearance at Izile's Oddities this summer.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

And, obviously, I'm not the only one with a fondness for these beautiful creatures of myth. Etsy has nearly 90 pages of items under "unicorn."

Today's favorite is from Sixth and Elm, and their beautiful Celtic style unicorn woodburned in a lovely circular style onto the lid of a hinged box. I really love the fine detail, graceful swirls (I am a swirl-lovin' girl!) and the more delicate styling - not just a horse with a horn.

And, if you want to look back and find my other unicorn features, I finally went back and tagged all my blog posts with some general categories.

2 comments:

Baroness Bijoutery said...

What is not to adore about Unicorns? Great post...Thank you.

Meghann said...

I love that unicorn! Too cool!