Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Job-Hopping

Last few weeks I was working full-time in a law firm, tomorrow I start a P/T gig as a Gal Friday on the upper east side. Ah, the glamorous life of a temp! But, you know, regular work just doesn't leave much time for anything else. So, I have hopes for this new gig-to-be. It's open-ended, which means it'll last until they either decide that I'm superfluous or they want to keep me. The pay's not the best, - better than retail! - but I like the idea of 5 hours a day, 4 days a week, especially during the summer months! Should leave me plenty of time to still work on Izile's Oddities, my garden, cook, shop, hang out with friends, etc.


Speaking of Izile's Oddities, I know the official shop's been quiet this week, but the DeviantArt gallery has shown some non-sales activity (which might be sales later, all depending). I've finally gotten off my painting laurels (traditional and digital). I finished my first two photoshop paintings (both started roughly 2 1/2 years ago and not touched in over two years until this week). I also finally got around to cleaning up one of my most popular watercolor paintings and submitting it to a company for a test print. If it comes out to a high enough quality, looks like I'll be selling prints in my Etsy shop (oh, what the heck, see the painting in question at left.) (I've also ordered a smaller test print of a sticker of my "Swirly Frog."

I'm also very nearly done with an original watercolor painting of a Fantasy map. I recently finished watching the BBC 4-part mini-series "The Beauty of Maps" and it reminded me of these giant fantasy maps I used to draw as a teenager (did my first one in 7th grade. By age 16, I had one on either wall of my bedroom, one was 4 ft x 6 ft, the other was 6 ft x 8 ft - every inch hand drawn, colored, labeled and entirely laminated (with help from my Mom). So, feeling nostalgic, I've got a small watercolor map that just needs labeling. I can't decide if I should do it in English, Latin, or do each city in the corresponding language (Human cities in English, Elven cities in Tengwar, Dwarven tunnels in Runes).

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Oh, I'm chatty tonight! So, now onto the Etsy plugging.

I've also been pondering pieces for another DragonCon costume this year. I was thinking of a High Elf and/or Changling the Lost Sidhe (Muse or Flowering Fairest). I admit, I'm terribly picky, and have seen some great fairy, pixie, even a few wood elf costume pieces, but not much in the flavor of the genre I'm going for. So, not finding what I wanted, I predict that Alice in Wonderland will be *huge* at D*Con this year. (The costumes from the most recent movie were a-maz-ing!)

Now, one shop in particular has spun out their own take on the whole Wonderland wardrobe with a pretty fresh eye that looks neither borrowed from either of Disney's productions: Alter-Eco Clothing. They currently have five different listings for "Eco Alice" pieces. I do like the "Mad Hatter Waistcoat" but I think my favorite is the (pictured right) Red Queen Organic Skirt. And the shop says all their clothes are made from all Organic fabrics, recycled materials and non-toxic fabric paints - Bonus!

The shop's got a lot more than just Alice inspired and costume pieces, so definitely go give them a browse!


2 comments:

ReLove Plan.et said...

thanks for the plug and the compliments Hun! :)

~Bianca (of Alter-Eco Clothing)

storybeader said...

great looking watercolor print! Hope the new job works out well, and you're working around interesting people!