Monday, September 13, 2010

Bhut Jolokia Pepper or the Ghost Chili

I should like to preface this with stating that I have no tolerance for heat. I cannot handle standard variety hot peppers, let alone jalapeƱos. I once, in a grand moment of stupidity, tasted a habaƱero out of my mother's garden, and will not soon forget that lesson. That said, what possessed me to plant two little Bhut Jolokia plants in my garden this year? Object lesson?

Well, one survived, and is pictured here for it's current state.

So, I don't know how long it will take them to go from green to red, but there's already a good 7 peppers on the plant in this stage, and as you can see if you look close, a lot of flowers and buds. It seems the one surviving plant is going to yield quite the bumper crop. Much more than my house needs.

So, I've been thinking of what to do with them. I've asked friends and there is very little interest in anyone trying one of the world's hottest peppers. My roommate has suggested I
make Ghost Chili Oil and Ghost Chili Vinegar to sell on my etsy shop. I am considering it.

Thing is, I'm unsure of a market for this type of thing. Google shows tons of people seeking desperately fresh bhut jolokia peppers (seriously? contact me) but when I look on etsy, there's not much in the way of hot pepper oil or vinegar, and none of the ghost chili variety.

Then again, I built Izile's Oddities on carrying things that couldn't be found elsewhere. So it would go well with my other experiments.

Would love to hear thoughts, comments, interest, questions, whatever.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Now, that's not to say there's not hot pepper edibles on etsy! Oh no! I looked and I found some seriously curious goods.

Fusion Sweets probably has one of the most unique uses with their "Some Like It Hot Thai Habanero Butter Caramels." Now, this person has some serious heat tolerance, as quoted from her own listing: "**I thought the habanero burn was too soothing (I know... what's wrong with me?) so I added in Thai chili peppers for a more immediate kick.**"

And just to be fair, I should mention that they offer a lot of non-spiced treats as well, for those of us who can't handle the fire. In the caramel section alone, there's sea salt, matcha green tea, kona coffee, dark chocolate, peanut butter, English breakfast black tea, chocolate peppermint, vanilla flavors, and even a Halloween special where you can mix and match the above flavors into your own half orange/red hald black/brown (or other) layered caramels. Tasty!

1 comment:

Fusion Sweets said...

Yay! Thanks for featuring our caramels. It's funny that the Habanero caramels are the ones everybody mentions and remembers when they were really just something I came up with when I had a weird craving. :D

And yes we have lots of non spicy sweet treats too! Numminess indeed!